My Musical Equipment Closet

An opinionated collecton of short reviews of saxophones and woodwinds and the accessories which they require.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Santa Cruz, California, United States

"Other cultures are not failed attempts at being us. They are all unique manifestations of the human imagination and the human heart." Wade Davis

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

One Person Connecting All These Things


Lest we forget, there is one person whose encouragement and unfailing good humor inspired each of the people whose products have been mentioned so far (and, I must add, Jody at JodyJazz Mouthieces). He inspired all who contacted him.

That person is the dearly missed Santy Runyon, who passed a couple years ago, well into his nineties.

I remember calling him a couple years before his death. His wife answered and told me, "He's practicing right now. Can I have him call you back?"

Practicing? Such a great player needs to practice in his mid-nineties? That's the kind of yeomanlike musician he was, and maybe it was at once the source of his great humility and warmth. We all miss Santy.

Thanks to Paul Coats for the photo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home