My Musical Equipment Closet

An opinionated collecton of short reviews of saxophones and woodwinds and the accessories which they require.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Santa Cruz, California, United States

"Other cultures are not failed attempts at being us. They are all unique manifestations of the human imagination and the human heart." Wade Davis

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Slightly off topic: The Gaylord Texan

So here I am in a big fancy room in a big fancy hotel next to DFW Airport. I played NY Eve here the other night and Jan and I bought another night from Travelocity for $150. The thing that I have to say about this hotel is that it's a grounded cruise ship. There's a big atrium in the center, you're geographically apart from the town and thus subject to the, shall we say, aggressive pricing of the management. (Three bucks for a coffee in the morning? In a paper cup?) You're stuck here, if you don't like it, tough. Get walking. There are MANDATORY fees collected for parking ($8) and a facilities fee that covers, among the usual spa and shuttle bus fees, 2 20 ounce bottles of Dasani water in the room's refrigerator, which in our case did not work.

I worked for a trade show contracter for a few years, and this is the same attitude that made everyone love exhibiting conventions as much as we all do. Everything is extra, and provided by attentive and alert staff.

Meanwhile I ask myself if we are not leaning into the wind, and get ready to drive home to Austin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home